Digital Marketing is the most evolving field today! Every marketer will require a digital marketing edge; every PR person will require a digital marketing story and every entrepreneur will endorse digital with time! You cannot ignore this medium. Here are some of the most important skills that you might want to have to become a successful digital marketer:
Register FREE for Digital Marketing Course & Get The First Lesson Right Away!
1. Content and Creative Excellence: This is the most important skill required to become a self made digital marketer as this skill will immensely help you attract audience base on internet. Content can be of any format – you can be a visual genius – create some magical pictures and videos on internet or you can be a subject matter expert and create some fabulous blog posts! People on Internet do not come to just consume the promotional content about your business – you need to teach them, guide them and provide so much of information that they come back to your website again and again!
You don’t have to be William Shakespeare – But, yes! Your English must be right! – Vernacular language can be entertained on search engines and social media – but the crowd searching using the vernacular language is really less. So get your English basics right and add some creative touch to your style of communication. Remember, platforms like Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn are good channels to begin with – start experimenting there to see what your audience likes before you get on the publishing bandwagon.
2. WordPress Management Skills: You need to be an expert in WordPress Management! Yes it requires some technical knowledge. But there are ample of study materials online that can help you become a wordpress pro. It takes hardly 10 minutes to register a domain and establish a wordpress blog and about 30 to 40 minutes to customize your wordpress blog with free themes available on the Internet. Here are two interesting blog posts that you should learn, follow, experiment, practice and become pro at:
How to Register a Domain Name and Setup Blog in 10 Minutes (if you haven’t used WordPress at all)
How to Transfer Free WordPress Blog into Self-Hosted Domain (If you are using Free WordPress)
How to Install & Maintain WordPress Plugin – Complete Guide (if you have just installed WordPress)
3. Designing Skills: Not that you will have to become a pro graphic designer or have to learn all the tools. But there are tools like Canva.com, which I often use to create some beautiful images. If you think you cannot design it, I would suggest you to learn and analyze how visuals work and stay updated with the latest trends and associate with some freelance graphic designers who can help you get your creative side rolling.
4. Digital Analytics: Analytics is very crucial part of your Digital Marketing journey! Data analysis through Facebook insights, Google analytics, Twitter analytics can help you understand consumer behavior and also give you a lot of insights about things people like / do on your website. There are many free and paid tools that can help you analyze these data, which will eventually help you, make some conclusions.
5. You Need to Be Passionate: Passionate Digital Marketer always thinks of what’s next? A not so passionate digital marketer just follows what the passionate digital marketer says. There are two types of Digital Marketers in this world:
Accidental Digital Marketer: One who gets into Digital Marketing because they have no choice. They get some certifications and gets into the industry or gets into the organization and learn some basics to become a digital marketer – they are not driven by self the force drives them.
Passionate Digital Marketer: They are the ones who ‘Walks the Talk’ – tests new things, blogs, video blogs and strikes a conversation with the chord all across the world through amazing content strategies. These are the people who know the art of networking through hashtags. My Free Digital Marketing Course can help you become a digital marketing professional who is passionately driven.
6. Listening is Good, Doing is Better: Theoretical knowledge on Digital Marketing is easy to gain, practical knowledge is difficult. Its best to keep trying things in this space and experience the art of this subject even before you introduce the practice in your company / business / organization. You need to evolve as a digital marketer and you need to learn things on day-to-day basis. Remember, certification doesn’t really matter in this field – results do! So practice digital marketing at your personal level and then let the world know that you know it all.
7. Reading Skills: This might sound really lame to you! You cannot become a good content writer if you aren’t a good reader. I am not saying you to ready novels or self-help books but resources that matter to become a digital marketer. In Tips section below I have mentioned resources that you should subscribe to – make this as a mandate and it will immensely help you climb the ladder.